⚽ 2022 World Cup prediction league ⚽

• 22 November 2022
  • 54 replies

Show first post

54 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

😂😂😂 @john.desborough I honestly don’t know how they thought they’d get away with it. It’s the most naive piece of blatant cheating I’ve seen since Rivaldo took one to the “face” in the 2002 World Cup

And yes, if the unthinkable happens, we’ll hear them singing in the valleys from here.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@James - i loved that image.. it is sort of like a work project i am dealing with .. lol.. 

and as long as they don’t climb every mountain or ford every stream…. 

des

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

G’day cobbers. The big game today sees Australia get the chance to skip through to the second round as they come up against Denmark (@Lasse hope your chaps can hit form in this tournament at last). There’s another interesting match-up later as Argentina take on Poland in a tasty looking tussle. 

In terms of our Community league, here’s how things are looking after yesterday’s performances. A lot of big points tallies posted in what was an obviously a very predictable round of matches. @benjohnson is still out in front, but we’ve had a fall from @Grace (arf)

Best of luck to all who entered their predictions for today’s games. Here’s the predictor form for tomorrow’s matches, so get your guesses in @benjohnson @christome @Grace @Simon @amy.carlson @Cat @john.desborough @Reka @suzieq @Gabi.Amaral @cate.anti @SynthGoblin 👀

@john.desborough I’m pleased I didn’t hear anyone bleating on about the green, green grass of home last night. Hopefully tomorrow we’ll be hearing cries of “O Canada” drifting across the Atlantic!

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@James - that is an impressive jump you made up the table!  do you have an ‘in’ with the organizers?? lol jk

well our boys got their first goal, that is one good thing .. and they played very well against both squads and Morocco plays an entirely different style, so tomorrow’s match should be good.. 

@Grace - that was punny of @James though he did it very @Grace - fully

bring on the whistle!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Another day another sad farewell to 8 more teams from the world cup 😥 We know the Canadians will be leaving (with their heads held high I might add, @john.desborough @suzieq 🍁) but who else will be joining them?

Here’s the form for tomorrow which marks the final day of the group stages of this World Cup. FYI @benjohnson @christome @Grace @Simon @Cat @amy.carlson @john.desborough @Reka @suzieq @Gabi.Amaral @cate.anti @SynthGoblin 

And here are the current standings:

@john.desborough despite my league position I can confirm that my hands are squeaky clean. There shall be no brown envelopes getting passed around in this tournament 😝

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Sad to see my home team go, but having multiple nationalities means I still (just barely) have Poland to cheer for ⚽

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Happy Friday all! Hope you're all revved up for a fun weekend. Yet again I shall mainly be plonked on the sofa – although there are less games every day from now on, so no excuses for not tidying out the shed this time :(

Yesterday was fun football-wise, I was sad to see Canada bow out but still in awe at the Japan victory. What a performance they put in - and whether that ball crossed the line or not, I think they deserve to be in the next round.

It's a big day for Brazil today – not only are they in action against Cameroon but Brazilian @christome has just climbed to second place in our table. England's @benjohnson  holds on to top spot for another day but will he still be roaring on Sunday when the Three Lions come up against a solid looking Senegal team? 

Here's your predictor form for the weekend's matches. Do your worst…

👀 @benjohnson @christome @Cat @Grace @Simon @john.desborough @amy.carlson @Reka @suzieq @Gabi.Amaral @cate.anti @SynthGoblin 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@James - i am disappointed as well.. but life goes on.. 

(check the scoring table - i see a couple of discrepancies...)

des

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

des

Thanks @john.desborough for your eagle eyes. You’re essentially our own version of VAR 😝

Updated the table and changed it in my previous reply. I have implemented extra verification in my scoring process to eradicate these kind of mistakes in future. Apologies to all affected 🙏

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

des

Thanks @john.desborough for your eagle eyes. You’re essentially our own version of VAR 😝

Updated the table and changed it in my previous reply. I have implemented extra verification in my scoring process to eradicate these kind of mistakes in future. Apologies to all affected 🙏

oh gawd.. please don’t hate me as much as we hate VAR lol.. 

it just really points out how poorly my choices have been.. i can live with that but now the voices are curious to see if they can work out another algorithm to sneak in the back door and alter the scores on the FIFA site and restate the results in my favour .. lol.. jk… 

this has been a fun and challenging way to get involved in the footie! Thank you!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Happy Monday everyone,

A new week means more World Cup matches, although we’re fast running out of countries, as more fall by the wayside (bye bye Senegal, Poland, USA and Australia 👋). There were no major shocks this weekend, which meant plenty of people picked up points in our league. Not least @Cat – who bagged an impressive 3 correct scores out of 4, leaping up into second spot 🙌

Here’s the prediction form for the next two days of matches (there’s a public holiday here in Spain tomorrow and I won’t be around to officiate). Good luck as always @benjohnson @Cat @christome @Simon @john.desborough @amy.carlson @suzieq @Reka @Gabi.Amaral @cate.anti 

oh gawd.. please don’t hate me as much as we hate VAR lol.. 

it just really points out how poorly my choices have been.. i can live with that but now the voices are curious to see if they can work out another algorithm to sneak in the back door and alter the scores on the FIFA site and restate the results in my favour .. lol.. jk… 

this has been a fun and challenging way to get involved in the footie! Thank you!!

Hahah @john.desborough don’t you worry round these parts you’re loved as much as Pele, Maradona and Cruyff all rolled into one 🤗 

Also, don’t fret about your current league position as there’s an important change coming from the quarter finals onwards...we’re playing for double points!!!!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

How am I still going down 😂 I need to get my act in gear and pick up a few more points!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hey all! Hope you’re having a good day. Yesterday was another belter World Cup wise. After waking up from Spain’s sleep-inducing passing game to see them lose on penalties, I was very impressed with the new, Ronaldo-less Portugal. In fact, I reckon they could go all the way (but hoping that England stop them first, of course!)

Surprisingly, there’s been no changes in league positions over the last couple of games. However, things are definitely tightening up at the top…

The excitement levels are about to be cranked up even more, as from the next games onwards we play for DOUBLE POINTS (i.e. a correct final score is now worth 20 points; a correct number of team goals is worth 6 points; and predicting a result - i.e. who wins/loses/draws - is worth 4 points).

So there’s all to play and a great chance for the likes of @Gabi.Amaral @SynthGoblin @Reka, to make points up having missed a few rounds. For you and the rest of the contenders (@benjohnson @Cat @christome @Simon @john.desborough @Grace @Amy @suzieq ) – here’s the predictor form for the next games (to be played on Friday 9th and Saturday 10th December):

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@James - i imagine a few tears were shed around the country as Spain forget where the back of the net was supposed to be…. 

YES to England! C’mon lads… and to the rest of the footie fans in here, I seriously applaud @James for his effort in making this a fun challenge for us all!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@James - i imagine a few tears were shed around the country as Spain forget where the back of the net was supposed to be…. 

YES to England! C’mon lads… and to the rest of the footie fans in here, I seriously applaud @James for his effort in making this a fun challenge for us all!

Haha. Yeah @john.desborough there were, but also some rejoicing - there’s quite a significant Moroccan population in the town where I live (and Spain in, general) so at least some of the residents are still flying their flags, ourselves included…

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yep, I definitely heard a combination of despair and rejoicing last night!

And I second @john.desborough, thanks for keeping this going and upping the stakes @James! It’s certainly been a World Cup full of surprises… 😮

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Happy Monday folks. Well the less said about the weekend’s football the better. Aside from a splendid performance from Morocco there was little World Cup news to write about (am I right @Grace @benjohnson @Gabi.Amaral @christome?)

However...in terms of the prediction league things have got VERY interesting. With the introduction of double points from the quarter finals onwards we’re already seeing some significant changes. Notable benefactors are @christome who has surpassed the seemingly unconquerable @benjohnson, who made a Kane-level blunder – forgetting to submit his form and therefore damaging his chances of winning the tournament. Props too to @amy.carlson who has predicted herself into contention with a big weekend of soothsaying:

The semi-finals start tomorrow and it really is all to play for. Whatever happens you need to be in it to win it so don’t forget to submit your predictions for the semis here (FYI @christome @benjohnson @Cat @amy.carlson @Simon @Grace @john.desborough @suzieq @Reka @Gabi.Amaral @cate.anti @SynthGoblin )

Good luck all!

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@James - sadness indeed.. I feel your hangover all the way from Canada.. and share it with you.. 

I did wonder if we were not watching some of the Italian liga games with the diving and writhing that was going on … 

Tho I am still trying to process HOW Kane managed to sail that penalty soooooo far afield.. sigh.. 

des

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Absolute shocker all round! Think I got everything wrong, wasn’t expecting so many matches to go to penalties! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Happy Friday gang! 

After a month of thrills and spills (and ultimate heartache and misery for some of us!) it’s time for the climax of the World Cup ⚽ 

On Sunday Argentina meet France for a kickabout that will be watched by billions. There’s also the 3rd-placed playoff match on Saturday between Morocco and Croatia. 

For us, this means more lots more prediction points to play for. What’s more, the powers that be have confirmed there will be a (small) prize for our champion! So fill in this final typeform and let battle commence!

Here’s the current table going into the last match:

Don’t forget big points are now available – so there are plenty of folks in with a chance of being the champion (@christome @benjohnson @amy.carlson @Cat @Simon are myself definitely all in with a shot. And while @Grace @john.desborough @suzieq @Reka @Gabi.Amaral @cate.anti @SynthGoblin are mathematically out of the picture for winning the league title, there’s plenty of pride at stake!)

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

NEWSFLASH: As per @benjohnson ‘s suggestion – this final weekend will be triple points weekend 🤑🤑🤑 This will give even more people a shot of winning the title with a possible 60 points up for grabs over the weekend!!! This could be the most exciting World Cup final of all time!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@James - EXCELLENT.. still means I am out of it but ...lol… NEXT time in Canada .. 4 yrs from now… you have plenty of time to perfect the competition typeform.. 

I think i will be looking to subcontract you @James for some downstream client work lol.. i think you did a great job with this and KUDOS to you for making it work .. and fun.. 

and to all those who have a better crystal ball than the one i am using, congrats and wasn't this ‘top-shelf’? 

des

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@James - EXCELLENT.. still means I am out of it but ...lol… NEXT time in Canada .. 4 yrs from now… you have plenty of time to perfect the competition typeform.. 

I think i will be looking to subcontract you @James for some downstream client work lol.. i think you did a great job with this and KUDOS to you for making it work .. and fun.. 

and to all those who have a better crystal ball than the one i am using, congrats and wasn't this ‘top-shelf’? 

des

Haha @john.desborough mathematically you’re still in with a shout if you can get that crystal ball nice and clean. 

I’m actually planning to rock up to North America for the next World Cup. We’re thinking of basing ourselves somewhere on the East Coast for a month and taking in a few games (so I may actually need some of that freelance work to fund the trip :P). Perhaps we can hook up while I’m out there and we can do some in-person predicting over a crate of Molson Gold!

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

I think i will be looking to subcontract you @James for some downstream client work lol.. i think you did a great job with this and KUDOS to you for making it work .. and fun.. 

des

Haha @john.desborough mathematically you’re still in with a shout if you can get that crystal ball nice and clean. 

I’m actually planning to rock up to North America for the next World Cup. We’re thinking of basing ourselves somewhere on the East Coast for a month and taking in a few games (so I may actually need some of that freelance work to fund the trip :P). Perhaps we can hook up while I’m out there and we can do some in-person predicting over a crate of Molson Gold!

Mi casa su casa!

consider it a requirement….. 

cheers and Go Canada!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Fantastic job on running this @James it was great fun!

And of course congrats to Argentina for an outstanding performance! 🥇⚽