Answered

How to see the traffic source of conversions

Userlevel 2
Badge

I am using a Typeform connected to my Hubspot account.

I want to report of the traffic sources of conversions. In both Hubspot and Google Analytics, the source says ‘Direct’ or Referral. is there a way to overide this/change the settings so I can see the original source of the visitor? Eg. Organic search, paid search, direct, etc. 

Many thanks

icon

Best answer by Liz 27 May 2021, 21:24

View original

32 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @kpaxman Thanks for stopping by the community! Do you have the form embedded on your website? Or are you sending respondents directly to the form URL?

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi Liz,

I have embedded the form on various pages of the website.

Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Ah, got it, @kpaxman ! I made a video with some further instructions on the post below to walk you through how to track the source: 

Let me know if you have any troubles following the video steps here! :grinning:

Userlevel 2
Badge

Thank you Liz, appreciate your help. Will this only work with URLs with UTMs added? For example, how would this work with organic traffic from Google for example? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @kpaxman typically, Google automatically adds in their own UTM variables when someone clicks on a link from Google. You can find the most common of these under the settings here: 

If you add these to the form, it should then attribute the source back to Google. Let me know if you have any troubles setting this up! 

Hey People? Where i could see the source of the traffic about mi form? I did the UTM configuration, but when i go to the results just appear  the answers from the people but i don’t see anything about the sorces.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Lincros Thanks for stopping by! You’ll need to be sure that you’re passing this information into those hidden fields. Simply turning on the fields won’t capture the UTM source. How are you directing the respondents to your form? 

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Hello,

I am also having problem with tracking conversions. 
We have wordpress page iderma(dot)lt - which leads to typeform. Both typeform and our website have google analytics integrated. Google analyitcs are linked with adwords. Adwrods bring traffic, but conversions are shown as direct? 

Goal is set up in analytics, and in adwords is imported from analytics. Analytics track typeform action events TypeformSubmit". But it all shows as direct, where as we know it is adwords generated, whilst in adwords it never shows anything as convered. Has anyone managed to solve this? @typeform how we can solve this?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @ValdemarQ Do you have hidden fields setup on the form to track the UTM variables? 

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

@Liz yes, we have hidden fields enabled in type forms. 

But it doesn't seem that they catch those from Google Ads. 

Google ads enabled, which lead to our landing page. On landing page we have a button that opens typeform (Not embed). Typeform has Google analytics connected, website also has analytics connected. Google Tag manager is not connected as we are using stripe payments. 

Any idea how solve it?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hm, are you using a custom embed, @ValdemarQ ? Or are you linking to the direct Typeform URL?

If you’re using a custom embed, we won’t be able to troubleshoot custom code, but I would first suggest using the embed code we provide here

Then, you can follow the steps here to capture the UTM variables, as that data isn’t automatically passed into the form. 

If you’re linking directly to the form, then you will need to write your own code to pass that data into the hidden fields in the Typeform URL. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Hello @Liz

Clients land on our Landing iderma.lt - from adwords. We use direct link to typeform, we dont use embed.
(Google analytics/tagmanager connected)

CTA button leads directly to the form - https://form.typeform.com/to/Vxs1VOeK (Same google analytics connected to typeform - google tag manager not connected as we use payment form)

So you suggest:
1. Instead of pointing to typeform - embed it on the website?
2. Use these steps to add utm?

Also, I have noticed that when adwrods link is clicked it seems that there is no UTM etc passed from google to the link, maybe something needs to be adjusted on google end?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @ValdemarQ Ok, thank you! This helps me understand better. If you’re going to lead to the form directly, you’ll need to be sure you’re leading to the form with the hidden fields like: 

https://form.typeform.com/to/Vxs1VOeK ?utm_source=&

If you embed it on your site, then you’ll want to follow the steps in the link you shared. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Hi @Liz,

I have done everything as recommended, embedded typeform on a website, now I notice some records by typeform catch the UTM content, however it seems that not all catch it. 

Secondly, it seems that typeform catches UTM content, but google analytics doesn't catch it, whilst google shows it like this:

Can you help me out? Website link is this https://iderma.lt/

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Thanks, @ValdemarQ I took a look at the code on your site, and I’m not seeing the hidden fields in the Typeform URL within the embed code. Can you add those into the URLs in the embed code to see if that solves the issue? 
You’ll also want to be sure the UTM variables are turned on and the changes are published by following the steps here

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Hi @Liz 

What do you mean you dont see hidden fields in typeform URL? we are using not an url but an embed. Here is the code. We expect it to catch a dynamic UTM fields from URL when users visit website from Adwords and expect adwords/analytics to track those as conversions. Can you help us further?

<button data-tf-popup="Vxs1VOeK" data-tf-hide-headers="" data-tf-transitive-search-params="utm_source, utm_medium,utm_campaign,utm_term,utm_content" data-tf-iframe-props="title=Dermatologo konsultacija internetu - iDerma" data-tf-medium="snippet" data-tf-hidden="utm_source=xxxxx,utm_medium=xxxxx,utm_campaign=xxxxx,utm_term=xxxxx,utm_content=xxxxx" style="
all:unset;
font-family:inter;
display:inline-block;
max-width:100%;
white-space:nowrap;
overflow:hidden;
text-overflow:ellipsis;
background-color:#0E63F4;
color:#FFFFFF;
font-size:20px;
border-radius:39px;
padding:26px 53px;
font-weight:500;
cursor:pointer;
line-height:24.2px;
text-align:center;
margin:0;
text-decoration:none;" data-tf-loaded="true">Pradėti konsultaciją</button>

We have everything enabled as per this one - https://www.typeform.com/help/a/utm-tracking-360050914311/ - but XXXXX values cant be typed in manualyl as we expect to to be catched dinamically from URL, how to we proceed here?

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

@Liz any ideas how to solve it? Is there anyone who could help to set things correctly?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Ah, perfect, I see them now, @ValdemarQ ! The solution should be easy - you just need to remove those x’s so it looks like: 

data-tf-hidden="utm_source, utm_medium, utm_campaign,utm_term,utm_content

Let me know if that doesn’t do the trick!

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

@Liz thanks for a suggestions, lets try it out :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Don't forget to let us know if it works, @ValdemarQ! Hoping it will!

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

We have found a solution. Since your typeform has Stripe payments, it doesnt allow google Tag manager to operate, so no conversions were tracked. 

We have simply created a redirect to thank you page on our webiste, where Google Tag Manager is integrated and successfully tracks conversions. 

Also, as per @Liz recommendation, we removed XXXX and kept just like this, so now it is tracking properly, without adding any unecessary xxxx.

data-tf-hidden="utm_source, utm_medium, utm_campaign,utm_term,utm_conten"

Full Embed code looks like this:

data-tf-popup="sxmSCYSc"
data-tf-hide-headers
data-tf-transitive-search-params="utm_source, utm_medium,utm_campaign,utm_term,utm_content"
data-tf-iframe-props="title=Dermatologo konsultacija internetu - iDerma"
data-tf-medium="snippet"
data-tf-hidden="utm_source,utm_medium,utm_campaign,utm_term,utm_content"

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Thanks for sharing, @ValdemarQ ! I’m glad that worked for you!! :grinning:

Hi @Liz ,
I have the same issue, and nope, I do not use UTM parameters. We use Google’s Auto-Tagging feature which is the recommended one. Is using UTMs mandatory? This will mess up our Analytics as Google will try to override autotagging with UTM data.

Your help here is appreciated. Thanks

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

@yacine

Have you enabled Google Analytics, Google Tag manager on your form? 
Have you enabled google analytics on your Website?
Have you set up goals in google analytics and imported them to google ad words?
Have you enabled conversion tracking in tag manager?

Hi @Liz,I have a form embedded on the site with hidden fields enabled and the code inserted as indicated in this thread and in this thread and in this article, but I cannot properly track the traffic sources.If the traffic comes from a link like this www.example.com/utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=mail&utm_campaign=june22 on Google Analytics I see the submit event correctly attributed to the "mail" medium, but, for example, if the user comes from organic traffic (therefore without UTM within the link) the event is attributed to referral medium and as a source to my domain.Why does this happen? How can I avoid it?

Many thanks