Product update

📣 New Feature Alert! Goodbye notifications, hello Follow-ups

📣 New Feature Alert! Goodbye notifications, hello Follow-ups
Userlevel 7
Badge +5
  • Tech Community Advocate
  • 13708 replies

Happy Spring, Typeform community! The Research & Development team is coming in bloom this season with a new feature that many of you are going to love - conditional follow ups!

If you’ve used our notifications feature before, you might be familiar with sending emails after a respondent submits the form. With our new follow-ups feature, you can send different emails based on answers, both on the respondent side and the creator side.

Watch the video below for more information on what this looks like.

To start using this feature, 

1. Click on the gear settings in the form builder. Then, click on “Follow ups”

f4c2ZQgeHLhQ1fBm7gD6-JJ3RiC3aAMMpwUcEQR9xrmhHxZXKksiho3W990meqj6zeEHXs_VxZ2pL8P-wRp2lLf_7clYu_gy3XabhjUn4iXXgO-JjfFjdVNH9ysnAjqmMpCdq-h7r2YTnJjWs8ch7eo

1. Next, click on the + button to begin creating your follow-up sequence. 

oPkfWxwbSX5GLl7CIslGECsXEZVCR3btU0VzLF1JnlclW_Zqs7s4s8SxttiSm_89uqZs6YrxcfpUaLj6RynCpq3C6Wadf-j4BArnSSrcwqqhf5XeIfgdlpqVhSyz0HEoASpSD-NsfbfWRJpoNGMlF5w

1. Choose the condition you’d like the email to send under and create-away! Our building will allow you to edit the email plain text, but you can add your own HTML or CSS to enhance the design. 

AU2vvOEZmJWUNcBemQopqj-B01EiE-0Y4gluFytQOoG7UziE7xSNXVm2RDAuaLRefo5r2rrEYZddXDhq5yRTFK6gpqfnZtnz2s9aaakWnWGhTOVkbzgCwX20uGSz9oXuXTdbpCjQkXvZx0ObDK1M2DI

1. You can rename your follow-ups by clicking on the three dots like this: 

O0DVL8XJalu1ab-CwB-r8vo85AyDJA_YFJcXFtT-YCSgYTLzch8M1CtVRbHdYYEo-VvFiD9YyJ0P1nouYDpyETiyBfASobRmuRNGlXxlkFfGFtHUDlg1y1_VmJmE34MEBcQjbedXj4KgnIzmFUwfK2s

Interesting use cases

There are plenty of great use cases for this new feature, but here are some of my favorites: 

1. Send a self-notification to different sales managers in your company based on the responses to a specific question or multiple questions. 

R95JQPiV_3mpikMY499pNdpziCJNGv_rCQ0iEIrqfCg6SF95ccEMxf8VtvPdv1FpxOq3HdWtHhg-wNOdb-VN_5Z0IONF9E64v72x5IaMGQliQsOd9rWQ4_EZeTHlB5Qqf3Z74F0-_pfqNuIeyc0tBg0

1. Send an email to your respondent based on their answers. If you’ve got a lead form, you could send an email with more information about a particular service, information about your company, or different calendars to schedule meetings accordingly. 

U6eRCxCe135HL3rFHqyQ5xIl-qhvraflbkkNN4UA4y9IDjEogKBuM51N4aeYzIVR4eafM-wFneZTw9a6BdlTVVjQSTFzikDAdMtMZ1UEVzUGVpsmXVBrXqgBQW36ogZqFawiFyUb7b6yktQtLAER8NM

1. Send a notification to a contractor on your team based on answers - a great option if you’ve outsourced some of your work!

xk9Lwjk3m1-mScuRQitHkyhikDJITLiJ6j7Z3KJjdlG7jfxfvZcYc5SRYY9ljF9rXLrJmvIKHwTvkm_aXWnygWjyGO-YySxupahfuZ7K0CDLnwCEu_pVO4Yszmrqyj1fLsDq5c4RVKysBIHf57bASEw

1. Send a notification to your email account and create a workflow accordingly using integrations such as Mailchimp, Zapier, or Hubspot.

We hope you love this feature! For those of you already using it, let us know what you’re using it for, and as always, drop any feedback in the comments. 

16 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Liz - i’ve found the ‘new’ method to set the triggers for the followups is a really nice little enhancement. Now to go back to the forms and leverage the capability on about 120 forms over the next 3 weeks.. 

cheers

des

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi @Liz, I still have the “notification system” active on my business plan. Does the new function “follow ups” activate automatically?

Cheers,

Carlo

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @john.desborough Sounds like you’ll need some coffee! 😀

@Crlao our product team is rolling it out to customers, so you should have it in your account soon!

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Liz - i have about 20 pounds in reserve lol.. 

des

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@john.desborough 😳😵 Good thing you’re prepared ha!

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Liz - former Boy Scout… 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi All, this new feature is awesome for new forms, but Live Support just confirmed that we will have to manually re-configure all “old” notifications. This will have to be done for existing forms which are edited and published after the implementation of follow ups.

If it happens that the Follow-ups feature is enabled for forms that used to have Notifications set up, then you'll have to re-configure them, I'm afraid. 
But this time, through the Follow-ups button (by following these instructions: Send follow-up messages to your respondents or yourself).

I know this is not the best, but it is quite a big improvement the Follow-ups. 
With them, you can not only send simple self or respondent notifications, but also conditional and different ones to your respondents based on answers, for example.

However, follow up looks amazing!

Cheers,

Carlo

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Crlao thank you for sharing that! I know it’s not the most fun having to re-configure everything, but hopefully you’ll be able to add more custom notifications now as you go about updating your forms. 😁

Hey Liz,

I found the solution to my problem, thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Brandon Wraith Ah glad to hear it! What was the solution? 👀

Hello. Can you please tell us how to enable follow-ups for forms that were designed and published before this feature was released? I’m still only seeing the “Notifications” option in settings and can’t find any guidance on how to access the Follow-ups feature in its place. Thank you.

Userlevel 1

Thankyou for the “Follow Ups” feature. I like it but I think it needs an option between Trigger and Action to be able to delay or “wait” so many hours/days before the actual action occurs.

I cannot update the email address of who the notification is going to. It looks like a form field you can click in when you press edit but it doesn’t let you type anything. I want the notification to go to multiple email addresses. is this because of the plan I am on? I find it very confusing. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @natalie12312313123123 If you happen to be on a free plan, this is most likely why. It’s not possible to change the email address on the free plan to another email that isn’t the one listed on the account. 

I need to add an address to our follow-ups on a form, but the option is grayed out and says that this form is using the old notifications. I can’t seem to find a way to edit anywhere. Can you please direct me to the next step? Thank you! (The form is published - I did see that could be an issue.)

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Sunshine376 Do you mind trying to duplicate the form to see if that does allow you to make the change (on the new form)?