Answered

How to combine logic jump with variables

• 22 October 2021
  • 31 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I have set up logic jumps for a course registration form.

Original form format was apply only for one course at a time with a single $100 deposit request. I have now added multiple courses in one application which means $100 deposit per course chosen. So if 3 courses chosen $300 or 5 courses $500.

Can I set up payment question to calculate deposit amount to match amount of courses chosen while I have logic jumps linked to each question?

I cant seem to apply a logic jump and a variable into one Rule at the same time...

icon

Best answer by TFJunkie 1 November 2021, 06:43

View original

31 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@TFJunkie - as a troubleshooting method, while you are still testing things through, you might want to ‘display’ the variables on your page, down in the description area, so that you can see what the current value of each of them is.. that helps as you walk through to see if there is ‘something that changed’ in the process flow. 

Did you put in any reset logic ie “Always” do this to a variable ? at some point? Have you published the changes to the form? i see in another post you made about removing @recall underline your image of the logic map shows that the form is unpublished. 

it’s a little hard to trouble shoot when you show only part of the logic in screen shots and don’t provide an a link to test the form as an example here on the page.. 

just a few thoughts to help us try to look into the crystal ball and help out

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Thanks for the reply @john.desborough 

Can you explain how I can display the variables? I had a look around and checked the forum and couldn't find info on it.

I didn't use ‘Always’ anywhere in the form.

The screenshot was from a test form so not published. I was using preview facility.

This is a duplicate form and I published it for test purposes. All variables are in recap pages so once you get to “How Exciting.” page… I am on the Professional plan.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

for the variables, it’s simple - use the @recall functionality: i use something like this on the page when i want to check my logic and calculations

variables for testing

coursecount - @coursecount

subtotal for deposit - @subtotal_deposit

yesno1 - @yesno1

yesno2 - @yesno2

it’s as simple as that

so if on recap page 1 the info shows correctly and then on recap page 2 it’s ok but on recap 3 there is an error, you know that something on that path is happening and you have an idea where to start digging into your logic

one thing to watch for, that just struck me, if you are doing the subtotal calculations on each recap page, 

• if you use the logic on the first course selected to set coursecount to 1 and then add course count to subtotal_deposit and multiply that number by 100 you would $100 
  • when the user selects the next course, that would set the coursecount variable to 2. if you add that to the subtotal_deposit you would have 102 … then if you multiply the subtotal_deposit by 100 (or whatever your deposit is) you would have a significantly higher number than just 2 x the deposit cost.
  • if you reset the subtotal_deposit to 0 at the start of each recap page, then add the coursecount to the subtotal_deposit and multiply it, you would get the right numbers. 

just something to watch for.. 

des

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Thanks @john.desborough 

The sub total doesn't work on any recap page.

I’m not sure how the ‘Always’ function should work. How do you reset the recap page?

Here is a short video that shows, variables, logic of my form. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I just had a very well edited post, with screenshots explaining how I fixed my issue, and I pasted a photo outside the message box… grrr…

I FIXED MY ISSUES and ACTUALLY COMPLETED ALL MY FORM GOALS TO HAVE A FINISHED PRODUCT. https://app2020.typeform.com/PMUCourse

The only issue is, the black lines from unpopulated recalls. A big detraction from the aesthetic of the form and possibly a dev fix for the future.

It was mentioned I could create ending pages for each, which would literally mean dozens of the same pages, just so I could avoid having a blank line.

I was on a wild goose chase over the last week, with info being put out unclearly.

However, I will now outline the processes for others who are less literate with this platform or at least as literate as I am which is basic. I put in over 40hrs to get the form from a basic pick one course and pay the deposit to pick multiple courses and calculate full course fees, deposit and add merchant fee. 

I guess a pro could have done it in one day, less then 8hrs… 

1. First thing I did was create a short version of my form with the calculable questions.

Instead of working with a full form (below).

1. I set up all my variables, such as the course fees, the @recall prompts for my running totals throughout the form.
    1. Then it was onto setting up the variables throughout the form. One variable adds the course price to a total.                                                                          I’m still not clear what the @yesno variables do, but I added them in, just because I could and it didn't affect the form flow. I think they are supposed to add the course title to a page?
      1. Then I set up the calculator. I used the; ‘is greater than or equal to’ trigger as I knew the minimum amount of courses the student had chosen to get to a recap page. And, the calculator didn't work properly when I had ‘is greater than’ 0 trigger.                     I used the default @price variable as I am using the integrated STRIPE payment page, which you will see later.
      2. Once all the variables are set up back end. I went to work on the front end, adding @recall triggers. Because I have multiple threads weaving back to one recap page, I had to add alot of @recall triggers. This is why I get blank lines in the form.

3. Now it was time to set up my recap page.                           Contrary to what I thought, or understood previously where I was given a formula of multiply subtotal by amount ($500), the subtotal never worked no matter which way I had it set up, and I wasted ALOT of time attempting to make it work.                                                                   So I simplified it, changed it around and used @price which made sense, because this amount would be the amount that would be whatever is required to be paid by the applicant.

4. The recap page shows the total course cost and total deposit required. the blank lines are unpopulated @recall triggers. Typeform doesn't have the capacity to remove the blank lines of unfilled triggers. (Perhaps a future dev tweak). I was advised that I could use separate ending/recap pages, but that would mean a half a dozen of them laying around along with the extra logics to get to those recap pages; I would probably have nearly 10 separate question threads which doesn't make sense.
      5. Finally the payment page using the @price and @stripe variables. I set up a 2% merchant fee variable which adds on the fee automatically.

I started on this form variation last Monday and visited this everyday to finally figure it out on my own on Sunday and BOY what a relief it was. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

WOOT!! Congrats, @TFJunkie ! Glad you got this completed, and thanks for sharing! 

What an exciting way to start this week!