Answered

Decimal point numbers in a number question

• 25 February 2021
  • 73 replies

Userlevel 2

Hello,

I'm thinking about creating a typeform for an e-commerce site, where users will be able to create a complaint about their orders, however, not all products are sold as integer values, some of them are sold by weight, and so, I need a number question to allow people to enter things like 1.7 or 2.3.

I this possible on Typeform? I wasn't able to find a way to do so.

icon

Best answer by Liz 25 February 2021, 17:15

View original

73 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Carlos_G I’ve added your post here where you can follow for updates on this. 

Hi Liz we are looking at using typeform more deeply for thousands of customer financial entries, and not having currency answers supported where it shows commas and not having decimals (so you can enter interest rate, for example 4.5%) really makes this not ideal to use. I have been a typeform customer for about 7 years and this has got me thinking if I need a new solution given that typeform has not really made an effort to fix this given the thread is several years old.

man...really surprised this isn’t a feature yet. I’m sure this is super naive, but it seems like y’all would just need to add a few toggles or new form field type, and craft a regex for validation. Pretty critical feature to just not have. 

This would be such a useful feature to have, we’re creating an expenses form, and it would be great to be able to add in logic to total up the total expense for the user.

Could we get an update on when this feature is likely to happen?

Ok, all, I have some good news! I did discover from our product team that you can use decimals in other fields, such as short text fields. The reason it isn’t currently possible in the Number field is because the field is set to check that the respondent’s answer is a number and thus, it’s harder to check that with the decimals. 

Though, the developers did say they will look further into adding support for decimals in the number field, and in the meantime, you can use a short text field. :grin:

@Ziwzih @egw @Tristan @Alex Chapman @ryno 

This is not an acceptable workaround.  The data is stored as a string, making it impossible to use as a number.  If it’s sent to a database it goes in as the wrong type of variable.  Number are numbers.  Text is text.  Treating your numbers like text is asking for trouble. 

Very upset at this limitation.  I just purchased TypeForm but now realize I cannot use it for my needs. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

+1000 disappointed about wasting days of work because Typeform doesn’t support decimal numbers. 

That’s unbelievable and I realized like many others users with stupefaction you’re not listening customers needs for years to improve product -

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @maximegautier Thanks for stopping by and sharing this. We don’t currently have plans for decimals in the future because of the extensive amount of work it would take to prevent it from breaking all of the integrations we have. All that said, the product team is aware that this has been requested and have looked into how they can add this feature without causing the disruption in APIs/integrations, though there is no solution at the moment. 

Hi @maximegautier Thanks for stopping by and sharing this. We don’t currently have plans for decimals in the future because of the extensive amount of work it would take to prevent it from breaking all of the integrations we have. All that said, the product team is aware that this has been requested and have looked into how they can add this feature without causing the disruption in APIs/integrations, though there is no solution at the moment. 

Hi Liz

Could you not make a new form type/field of ‘decimal’? This way, it won’t break any current forms/integrations. I imagine it’s only if you changed the current ‘number’ field that would cause it to break.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @BeckyB That’s definitely an idea! I can share that with the product team. I’m not sure if that has the same issue as the regular number field or not, but happy to pass along the suggestion. 

Hi @Carlos Bernal thanks for stopping by! We don’t currently support decimals, I’m afraid, and the only workaround for this would be to change the numbers to whole numbers. :( Though, thanks for sharing your use case here because this helps give us a better understanding of how you’re using decimals in the form!

Clunky workaround for decimals (in my case $dd.cc figures). Involves breaking down input of $dd.cc to two separate fields - not sure how this is going to play out in the real world.

Number field to accept dd.

Number field to accept cc

Use a variable to multiply cc field by .01

Add dd to updated cc variable = $dd.cc that can be used in further calcs. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @StuartW Thanks so much for sharing this! 

Seems insane that this isn’t a feature. Throwback to 1999!

@Liz : You are being such a friendly and positive voice. Unfortunately, it doesn’t change the fact that you guys are not solving a problem which exists for years and which pains many users (including me). Create a new question type decimal number, and be done with it. Shouldn’t break any apis whatsoever. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@Felix I get it - I want the decimals, too! I’ve shared the feedback with the product team, but if I do have any updates on gaining this feature, I’ll post so here. 

Desperately need this also, as we are using typeform for monthly expense/revenue reporting for 30+. We are then sending it to an accountant for reconciling, who charges us more money because it takes more time for them to add the cents (then add it up, then reconcile) to every category for each one. We’re looking for alternatives, since this doesn’t seem to be something that will change any time soon.

I see that there is no solution for a number format with decimals, but I would like to add to this thread and emphasis how important this would be to add!

+1

+1 for decimal as a new field type

I definitely join the “I prefer decimals in a number field” group! +1

+1 for decimals

I am baffled! I have wasted days creating a survey only to find out that this feature is still not offered. To achieve “near accuracy” in the data collected this feature is absolutely necessary, you can’t just randomly round off everything to whole numbers.  I have to start from scratch and search for another tool, any suggestions is greatly appreciated. 

I am baffled! I have wasted days creating a survey only to find out that this feature is still not offered. To achieve “near accuracy” in the data collected this feature is absolutely necessary, you can’t just randomly round off everything to whole numbers.  I have to start from scratch and search for another tool, any suggestions is greatly appreciated. 

What I’ve ended up using is asking my users to input a value multiplied by 100. So instead of 4.56, they should input 456. I’ve added that to the question’s description, too.

Will typeform ever implement decimals?