Barception

Show first post

988 replies

Badge +5

Funny Mexicans and Brazilians call it Dia de los Muertos and we in Spain call is Dia de los Santos. Quite a different way to talk about the same thing 💀

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Oooh, she has great taste in movies, @john.desborough! I cry every time I watch this movie and I know all the songs (Remember meeeeeee!) :joy:

Yes, that's true! And the day is different as well, but I think the meaning is kind of the same, right? Is there any kind of celebration in Spain, @Gabriel? In Brazil, we'd usually go to the cemetery to bring flowers to our relatives that have passed away.

@Gabi Amaral Yup, I play the guitar, piano and drums, in a previous life I even played in a band!:laughing:

Wow! You guys having all kind of holidays and Japan being so boring in terms of holidays… After all the japanese characters input issue in the forms yesterday, I could really use a well placed Friday holiday!:joy:

By the way, @Liz once again, thank you so much for your patience and kindness in that full of frustration topic yesterday.:two_hearts:

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

No way, @Paulo! In a band? Do you have photos of the band? Hahaha that's incredible! 

I didn't know Japan was "boring" in terms of holidays. I thought it wouldn't be like that! How many per year do you guys usually have? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hey @Gabi Amaral , I am loving that Typeform hat collage idea! 

We generally celebrate the Independent Czechoslovak State Day by spending time in the streets of our towns and cities. There’s usually some sort of program with music, speeches, dance performances etc. I’ve also seen some lantern parades and - something I really love - topical projection mapping :heart:

Anyway :sweat_smile: we also celebrate All Saints Day on November 2. We, however, don’t have such a great movie about it! Coco is wonderful :blush:

Badge +5

Oooh, she has great taste in movies, @john.desborough! I cry every time I watch this movie and I know all the songs (Remember meeeeeee!) :joy:

Yes, that's true! And the day is different as well, but I think the meaning is kind of the same, right? Is there any kind of celebration in Spain, @Gabriel? In Brazil, we'd usually go to the cemetery to bring flowers to our relatives that have passed away.

Same, it’s customary to pay tribute to those who are no longer with us by bringing flowers to the cemetery. 

@Gabi Amaral There’s 16 public holidays in Japan, but if you’re not working in government offices or banks chances are you’re going to work on these holidays too.:sweat_smile:

My life as a musician happened a long time ago, back when the film had to be sent to the lab to develop the photos. My mother must have some photos from that time kept in Brazil, but I only have this one with me, a jam session for fun a couple of years ago:

drummer AND backing vocals...ha!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@Michaela this is a great way to celebrate it! I also love projection mapping! Sometimes they do it in the Christ, the Redeemer, in Rio de Janeiro, to pay tribute to something specific. Last year, in the beginning of the pandemic, they projected the flags of the countries that were facing Covid. 

@Paulo I guess this is part of the Japanese culture, then? It's a shame! This photo of you in a band is EPIC! Hahaha. Do you used to have a long hair like a Rockstar? What songs did you play? I'm curious to know! Hehehehe

Badge +5

I was up there a few years, at the top of the hill where the Redeemer sits. The views are mind blowing. I’ll try to find a picture from that day :nerd:

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yes, I know! I have several photos up there! I took this one in the last time I was in Rio, this year. In my opinion, it's the best view you can have of Rio, even better than the one we have from the Sugarloaf Mountain (that can be seen in this photo!) :blue_heart:

I'm starting to become homesick! :grimacing:

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@Paulo Sounds similar to the US ha! We probably have technically around 16 or so ‘holidays,’ but most companies only give us maybe half of those off, if even. I wish we had more celebrations like the rest of you do! They seem so wonderful!! 

@Gabi Amaral you’re making me want to go to Rio!!

@Gabi Amaral Yup! I had a very long hair from 16 to 22 years old. A long, long time ago… It was the eighties so we used to play basically rock and roll and some hard rock. Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Van Halen, Queen and so on.:joy:

@Liz It's pretty frustrating, huh? But I do have a ten days vacation three times a year, in December, May and August to compensate.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

You should visit Rio, @Liz! Depending on when you go, I might be there so I promise I can show you around! 

@Paulo Do you have photos? That's so exciting! I love to sing so the idea of having a band is very exciting to me! I always joke with my mom that the only reason I didn't become a professional singer was that she didn't invest in my talent! :rofl:  10 days three times a year? Probably this is not enough to travel to Brazil! When was the last time you were there? 

@john.desborough How many holidays do you usually have in Canada? :flag_ca:

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Gabi Amaral - not enough!! lol (10 official ‘statutory’ holidays including Christmas, Easter, Canada Day, etc… ) but over the past two years of trying to launch two companies i cannot pronounce the word ‘holid...’ … lol though i did have a week of vacation with my ladies this summer.. can’t wait for covid to be just a thing and not a crisis…. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Oh @john.desborough, I can imagine how hard it should be to launch your own company! Imagine two…

Some people want to own a business to have more autonomy and I'm sure it should pay off after some time, but in the beginning, I guess the concept of holidays is just non-existent! Do you always wanted to own a company?

Yes, I remember you took a week off with the ladies and it seemed fun! Can't wait as well! :heart_eyes:

Badge +5

Hey. Just passing by the Barception to wish you all a great weekend. Hope you manage to get a good rest folks. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@Paulo come on, you should know by now. Pics or it didn’t happen!

@Gabriel  hahaha love the gif!! Exactly how I feel today.

@Liz I know, I know!:joy:

Friday night I went to a Japanese style barbecue restaurant. Well, we say Japanese style barbecue, but for the sake of accuracy, it’s actually a Korean style barbecue...:sweat_smile:

Lots of sauces! Decisions, decisions…

Take me down to the paradise city...♪

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Paulo - looks great!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@Paulo that looks delicious! I also enjoyed the beer over there! Hahaha which one do you guys usually drink in Japan? 

My weekend was pretty nice, I was in Lisbon so met a lot of friends over there. Went to a Portuguese tasca for lunch but unfortunately I don't have photos because I was really hungry (sorry, @Liz! Hehe).

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@Paulo That looks so good!! I’m in Austin this week for the Austin Film Festival, and I’ve been having BBQ over here! I don’t have any pics yet, but I’ll share some this week. 

How was that radish sauce? I’ve never had that on, well, anything. 

@Gabi Amaral Are you in Lisbon next week, too? If you have any favorite tasca places, do share ha!

@john.desborough And it tastes even better!:grin:

@Gabi Amaral I’m a Guinness guy, but when I can’t find a good pint of Guinness to drink I usually order a Sapporo.

@Liz I’m not a fan of radish, but the locals love it! To tell you the truth, I didn't even touch that radish sauce...:sweat_smile:
OMG! You got Austin, BBQ and film festival in the same sentence! I'm looking forward to the pics!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@Paulo You know that I only like Guinness when I'm in Ireland? I remember when I moved there, my Irish friends would tell me "Gabi, when you go to a pub, just order a 'black stuff' and they'll know for sure you're talking about a Guiness". It worked all the time! :beer:

@Liz Unfortunately not! I'll go back to Barcelona tomorrow and then no plans to travel (which is kind of a relief because I'm tired!). The city is looking super nice with the web summit preps though! I'm sure you'll have a great time! :heart_eyes:

@Gabi Amaral I feel a tremendous difference between Guinness and other beers, it feels like I’m drinking water.:sweat_smile:

@Liz UPDATE: I tried the radish sauce. Do not recommend.:joy:

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yesss, @Paulo! There's no coming back from that. I think my taste for beers is highly influenced by the season. Whenever it's summer, I'd go for lighter beers, so you wouldn't see me drinking a guinness, for example. When it's winter though, then that'd change! 

Lately I've been finding myself drinking more and more coffee! Do you have any coffee suggestions for someone like me, a complete newbie on this, @john.desborough